Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ahhh Technology

I personally feel that I am not up to par with keeping up with what is going on in the technological world. As one can see, this is my first post in over 6 months! That first post that I wrote so long ago, I speak of "coming out of my shell" and making an honest effort to "join the blogging world". I have failed in that respect for the past few months, and am trying to make amends.

This post is to bring to you - in case you haven't yet tapped this particular functionality of Google(seems they keep coming up with endless cool stuff) - the Google Reader. But first, a little background...

In an attempt to keep myself more "in tune" with the technological world around me, I need something that makes the information extremely accessible, and forces me to read it. I made iGoogle my homepage, I don't know, about a year or so ago, and I find that I'm more in tune with the news, popular Digg articles, weather, email, and other things. When I faced this problem of needing a way to keep up to date with the technological world, my quest started with one of my former colleagues.

He always seemed to be on the bleeding edge of everything, and I always envied that. He would always tell me about new and up-coming cool stuff. I wanted to be on that edge just as he was, so I started with the blogs he read. Instead of creating bookmarks everywhere (because I knew that I would not visit them), I decided to subscribe to their RSS feeds. I don't have an RSS reader installed on this machine, but it prompted me to use Google's reader. I thought "what the hell, it's worth a shot", and voila! Google Reader was discovered! After poking around a bit, I was really impressed! The organization is really great.

This, however, was still not enough to force me to read the articles that I had subscribed to. Since I *love* my iGoogle homepage for keeping me up to date, and knowing the thoughtfulness of Google, I queried the gadgets for my iGoogle home page, searching for a Google Reader Gadget. Again, Google comes through! I now have the reader gadget on my homepage, and will be able to get updates every time I open a new browser. I'm a happy camper! So happy, in fact, that it inspired me to write this entry.

P.S. Happy Earth Day!!! Please try to reduce your carbon footprint today, more than you would normally! Help keep Mother Earth alive and thriving!!

No comments: